Our Commitment to Your Privacy and Security
Effective Date: June 5, 2017
Humane Society Silicon Valley (“HSSV”) is committed to protecting your privacy. This policy explains what information we collect from and about you, how we use and share that information, and what choices you have with your information. This Policy applies to all information that we have about you, and to all of the services provided by us, including all of our websites (collectively, the “Services”). Your privacy matters to us, so please take the time to familiarize yourself with our policies, and if you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This policy is incorporated into and is subject to HSSV’s Terms of Service and Mutual Rescue’s Terms of Service.
What Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us.
- Online Registration. When you register for an account, make a donation, register for a class, create a fundraising page, or perform other actions through our Services, we may ask you for information such as your name, username, email address, phone number, mailing address, and password.
- Offline Collection. We also receive your name and contact information from you when you provide it to us in-person, through the mail or on a telephone call, at an event, or when you surrender or adopt an animal. Some of the information you provide to us offline may be used to automatically create an online account for you, which you can access via our Services.
- Joint Data Collection. As a part of our collection of information from users both online and offline, we may collect information in combination with our partners for jointly offered services, promotions, surveys, or other activities. We may collect information solely on behalf of one of our partners in cases where users choose to provide their information to us for such purposes.
- Donations and Payments. If you make a donation or payment to us in person, we will receive payment card information from you. We do not receive payment card information for online donations and payments. All payments are processed by our service provider, and we do not store or maintain any payment card information.
- Educational Programs. When you register a child for an educational program, you may provide the child’s name, mailing address, phone number, email address, school name and address, grade, and age. We also request health-related information, such as the child’s doctor’s contact information, and information about the child’s immunizations and allergies. You may also be asked to provide the name and telephone number of people authorized to pick up the child from the program. This information is used only for the purposes of providing the educational program for which the child is registered and for health and safety purposes.
- Communications. We receive information from you when you contact us or we communicate with you, including via email, phone, or social media.
Information We Receive From Your Use of Our Services.
- Usage and Device Information. When you use our Services, we and our service providers, such as website analytics, social media widgets, and online ad networks, may receive certain information from your use of our Services, including the actions you take on our Services, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use our Services, the dates and times that you use our Services, and device information such as your IP address, locale, operating system, and web browser. Service providers such as analytics providers may collect information about your online activities over time and across different online services when you use our Services.
- Events and Fundraisers. We receive the information you provide when you create fundraisers or events using our Services.
Other Information We May Collect.
- Fundraising Referrals. We may receive your name, email address, and mailing address if someone else provides it to us so we can communicate with you on their behalf about a fundraising opportunity. For example, if your friend creates a fundraising page on our Services, your friend may provide us with your email address so he/she can use our Services to notify you about the fundraising page via email.
- Information from Third Parties. We like to know about the individuals who make donations to us, so we can communicate with them more effectively and adjust our outreach efforts. For this reason, we may collect information from third parties about our donors, including demographic and contact information, and combine it with information we collect from donors.
- Integrated Services. You may link your account to other services you use, such as Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn, or register for our Services with them (“Integrated Services”). When you connect to an Integrated Service, we will receive information that the Integrated Service makes available to us, such as a token to authenticate your identity between these accounts, your name, email address, and date of birth. If you connect to an Integrated Service, you can share information from your account to your status feed in the Integrated Service. You should review your privacy settings and the policies for the Integrated Service to understand the information it sends to us and how it uses information it receives before connecting it to our Services.
How We Use Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect for a variety of purposes, including to:
- Provide, improve, personalize, and promote our Services;
- Develop new services, features, and functionality;
- Process and complete transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Communicate with you by email, mail, and telephone, such as to respond to your comments, questions, and requests; provide customer service and support; provide you with information about our Services and donation opportunities, administrative messages, and other news or information about us;
- Send you marketing communications jointly with our partners;
- Provide you with personalized online advertising, mail, email, and telephone marketing messages, and information about us and donation opportunities;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions, unauthorized access to our Services, and other illegal activities; and
- Comply with your requests and permitted uses.
Information Sharing And Disclosures
We may share your information in the following ways:
- Your consent. We may share your personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of our organization when we have your consent to do so.
- Donations. When you make a donation using our Services, we may disclose your email, name, donation amount, and your comments to the person who requested a donation from you. With your consent, we may post your name and donation amount publicly on our Services, where the information is viewable by other users and the public. We are not responsible for the actions of users who view and use the posted information.
- Donor Lists. We will not sell, share, or trade our donor lists containing personal information, including names, email addresses, mailing addresses, and phone numbers, with any other non-affiliated organization for their own purposes, unless donors have given us specific permission to do so. This limitation includes personal information received online or offline by us from or about our donors in connection with requesting and/or processing donations. We will share information with service providers that will use the donors’ information only as necessary to provide their services to us. For example, we may use an email service provider to send newsletters and other communications to our donors. We do not send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations, unless they have given us specific permission to do so.
- Service Providers and Vendors. We may share your information with our service providers and vendors, such as technology, direct mailing, online advertising, telephone calling, and analytics services. We also provide your payment information to our service provider for payment processing and verification.
- Social Networks. Our Services may allow you to share information with social networking websites, such as Facebook. We do not share your information with them unless you direct us to share it. Their use of the information will be governed by their privacy policies, and you may be able to modify your privacy settings on their websites.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement Requests; Protection of Our Rights: We may disclose your information to a third party if (a) we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (b) to enforce our agreements, policies and terms of service, (c) to protect the security or integrity of our Services, (d) to protect the property, rights, and safety of us, our animals, our users, donors, or the public from harm or illegal activities, (e) to respond to an emergency which we believe in the good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person, or (f) to investigate and defend ourselves or others against any third-party claims or allegations.
- Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, sale of assets, or other business transaction, your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction as permitted by law and/or contract. We cannot control how such entities may use or disclose such information.
- Aggregate Data. We may share aggregate information that does not directly identify you with our service providers and other third parties for business purposes.
Choices You Have With Your Information
You can modify or correct your personal information at any time by logging into your account and updating your information or contacting us directly at email@example.com. If you would like to deactivate your account or opt out of direct mailings and other solicitations, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also change your contact preferences in your account settings.
You may opt out of receiving promotional email communications from us by using the unsubscribe link included within each email. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding our Services.
How We Protect Your Information
We and our service providers maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. This includes the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to protect credit card processing information and access controls to protect against unauthorized access to your personal information. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
By using our Services or providing information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of our Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on our Services or sending an email to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice by mail.
Links To Other Websites
Our Services contain links to other websites operated by third parties that we think may be of interest to you. This includes forms you may complete for discounts or free products from third parties. Please remember, however, that we are not responsible for the actions of those other sites, the content of their sites, or any products or services they may offer.
We may show you personalized advertising on our Services and on other websites. We currently use personalized advertising with Google AdWords to display content-specific advertisements to visitors that have previously visited our Services when those visitors go to other websites that have the Google Display Network implemented.
We and other third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party and third-party cookies together to inform and serve ads based on a visitor’s past visits to our websites.
We also use Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting and Google collects and processes certain Services-usage data. Google provides additional privacy options regarding cookie-use for analytics described at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Our Services are intended for a general audience and not directed to individuals under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will promptly take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
How To Contact Us
HSSV welcomes your questions and comments about privacy. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.