A powerful and efficient way to save lives. By making a contribution through stock, you can provide valued support to our four- and two-legged clients while avoiding capital gains tax on appreciated stock that you’ve owned for at least one year.
How it works
1. Fill out our “Stock Donation Interest Form” to ensure we know who to thank, and you receive your tax receipt
2. Upon submitting this form, you will receive instructions on how to donate your stock, as well as an email you can forward to your broker
3. Avoid capital gains tax, get a tax deduction (if you itemize), and save animals in need of our help
"Making our yearly contribution by donating stock assists us with our financial holdings balancing, and it’s all towards the same goal – the animals."
– Cheri and Dale Swanson, kitten fosters
Donor-Advised Fund (DAF)
If you have a Donor Advised Fund (DAF), you’ve already benefited tax-wise by creating it. But now you can unlock the power of your dollars so they can help us do our lifesaving work! You can easily request a meaningful gift for HSSV through your DAF administrator at any time.
If you have your DAF through Fidelity, Schwab, or BNY Mellon, you can request a gift through the portal:
For more information on how your DAF can make an impact,
contact Krista Coutts at (408) 942-3011 or firstname.lastname@example.org
INDIVIDUAL RETIREMENT ACCOUNT
If you are 70 1/2 or older, you can give to HSSV directly through a “Qualified Charitable Distribution” (QCD).
Why Give Through a QCD?
* See your gift in action. When you donate through a QCD, your donation supports our life-saving mission today.
* Use your QCD to satisfy your required minimum distributions (RMD) for the year
* Avoid income tax on your RMD because you don’t receive the money, HSSV does
* Lower taxable income could help lower Medicare premiums and taxable Social Security
Simply Contact your IRA administrator and request for them to send the gift. Alternatively, your IRA might have provided a checkbook that allows you to send the gift yourself.