How to Adopt
Virtual Adoption Appointment Process
Update on our adoptions program: The adoption lists fill up extremely quickly each week, which we know has been frustrating for some of you. Please note that the lists fill up so quickly because of the huge demand, which far exceeds the number of available animals we have at any given time. We are working tirelessly to bring in more homeless animals from all over the state to continue to save lives while also trying to meet the demand. We are also continuously working on our adoptions process to make it as clear, fair, and accessible as possible. Thank you for your patience and support during this time!
In response to concerns around COVID-19 and current social distancing rules, our adoptions process is now virtual, with pick-up of your new pet by appointment only. This new adoption process is in place for the safety of our staff and customers. Follow our easy steps to bring home a new pet to keep you company during this challenging time!
1. Sign up for a virtual appointment. An adoption counselor will contact you in 5-10 days via email to set up your video appointment time.
2. Meet your match(es)! During your virtual video appointment, you’ll get to “meet” up to 3 animals you’re interested in and learn more about them. Since new animals are made available daily, we recommend checking the list of available animals 30 minutes before your appointment time.
3. Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new pet up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
4. Let’s go home, buddy! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your pet at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All animals must leave with a collar or in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
5. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
Boom! You’ve just given a cat, dog, rabbit, or pocket pet a home. Good for you, now go and get your cuddles on.
Dog/Puppy Sign-up Form:
*The adoption appointment sign-up list for dogs/puppies is currently full. We will reopen the form on Monday, 11/30 by 11am. Thank you for your patience, and please check back for updates!
If the sign-up list for dog adoption appointments is full, you can sign up for our cancellation list. If there is an appointment cancelled during the week of 11/30/2020–12/7/2020, we will randomly contact those on the cancellation list to schedule an appointment. Please note that signing up on the cancellation list does not guarantee you an appointment.
Cat/Kitten Sign-up Form:
Adoption appointments will take place the week of 11/30/2020– 12/7/2020. An adoption counselor will contact you in 5-10 days to schedule your adoption appointment.
Check out our adoption guides while you are waiting for your appointment:Cat & Kitten Adoption Guide Dog & Puppy Adoption Guide Rabbit Adoption Guide
Kitten Match has closed for the season! Please check back in spring 2021.
Diamond in the Ruff
Check out our available Diamond in the Ruff animals below! Animals available through our Diamond in the Ruff program may have specific needs or environments. Follow the steps below to sign up to adopt a Diamond in the Ruff animal:
- Browse the list of available Diamond in the Ruff animals.
- Visit the animal’s profile to learn more details about them and see if they might be a fit for your household
- Fill out the form via the link in the animal’s profile and request to meet them.
- Meet the animal virtually! Our adoption staff will follow up in a few days to provide more information and set up a virtual appointment to meet the animal. Some animals may require an in-person meet and greet before adoption. If the animal requires an in-person meet and greet, our adoptions team will schedule you for an appointment to meet the animal.
- Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt after your appointment, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new pet up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
- Pick up your new pal! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your pet at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All animals must leave with a collar or in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
Please note that the Diamond in the Ruff form can only be used to sign up to meet available Diamond in the Ruff animals. If you fill out the Diamond in the Ruff form and request to meet an animal that is not part of our Diamond in the Ruff program, you will not receive an appointment to meet that animal.
*Please note that we are not allowing holds while our virtual adoption process is in place.*
|6+ Club for Felines||$75||$75|
Ongoing Special Adoption Fees
Make an impact for an animal in need
Did you know that you can sponsor the adoption fees for a needy animal? Heather and Matt Robbins adopted Abby from HSSV, and regularly come to our Milpitas Animal Community Center to sponsor the care and adoptions for animals that need it most.
Benefits Of A HSSV Adoption
Starting with excellent matchmaking services from our adoption counselors, an HSSV adoption includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- All necessary vaccines appropriate for the animal’s age and routine deworming
- Home Again Microchip with life-time registration
- Sponsored veterinary visit and select aftercare discount through one of our partners
- Expert tips on pet care and training, including free behavior advice for the lifetime of the animal from a behavior specialist
- Post Adoption advice as your new pet adjusts to the home
- All our animals have been examined by veterinary staff and received a behavior assessment
The Cost Comparison Of Adopted Animal Vs. A “Free Pet”
A free pet may seem like a great deal, but pet care costs add up quickly. For a better value, adopt from Humane Society Silicon Valley, where adoptions include a full array of services to keep your new companion safe and healthy.
Meet adoptable animals at any of our locations! To see the animals available at each location or in foster homes, visit the links below:
Dante was adopted by his new family last December and has spent the last year having tons of fun. His new family reports that he settled in immediately, is super well-mannered, and so easygoing and fun. Congrats, Dante!Adopt a Dog
Kodie the kitten was adopted over the summer and is loving his new family. They report that he has tons of fun kitten energy and has settled in with them perfectly. Congrats, Kodie! Now go show off your zoomies!Adopt a Cat
Rufus (left) was a shy, nervous boy when he was adopted a few years ago. His new dad spent a lot of time helping to build his confidence, and today, Rufus is a totally different dog. His dad decided it was time to bring Rufus a new friend, and adopted Pippi (right) a few months ago. He says Rufus totally adores Pippi and the two are getting along great!Adopt a Dog
Get Puppies in Your Inbox
Sign up for news, stories, and more delivered to your inbox monthly!