New (Virtual) Adoption Process
Update on our adoptions program: The adoption lists fill up extremely quickly each week, which we know has been frustrating for some of you. Please note that the lists fill up so quickly because of the huge demand, which far exceeds the number of available animals we have at any given time. We are working tirelessly to bring in more homeless animals from all over the state to continue to save lives while also trying to meet the demand. We are also continuously working on our adoptions process to make it as clear, fair, and accessible as possible. Thank you for your patience and support during this time!
*The adoption appointment sign-up list for dogs/puppies is currently full. We will reopen the form on Monday, 8/17 by 11am. Thank you for your patience, and please check back for updates!
If you would like to apply for one of our Diamond in the Ruff animals, learn more about them here and apply via the link in each animal’s bio. Please note that Diamond in the Ruff forms will only be accepted for Diamond in the Ruff animals.
In response to concerns around COVID-19 and current social distancing rules, our adoptions process is now virtual, with pick-up of your new pet by appointment only. This new adoption process is in place for the safety of our staff and customers. Follow our easy steps to bring home a new pet to keep you company during this challenging time!
1. Sign up for a virtual appointment. An adoption counselor will contact you in 5-8 days via email to set up your video appointment time.
2. Meet your match(es)! During your virtual video appointment, you’ll get to “meet” up to 3 animals you’re interested in and learn more about them. Since new animals are made available daily, we recommend checking the list of available animals 30 minutes before your appointment time.
3. Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new pet up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
4. Let’s go home, buddy! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your pet at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All animals must leave with a collar or in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
5. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
Boom! You’ve just given a cat, dog, rabbit, or pocket pet a home. Good for you, now go and get your cuddles on.
Check out our adoption guides while you are waiting for your appointment:Cat & Kitten Adoption Guide Dog & Puppy Adoption Guide Rabbit Adoption Guide
Kitten Adoption Options
Ready to adopt a kitten? We have two options for you! Whether you know exactly what you want or you need a little help figuring it out, our two adoption options will help you find a way to your new furry friend. Learn more about our kitten adoption options below, then sign up for the one that fits you best.
(Note: please sign up for only one of these options)
If you are looking for a friendly, outgoing kitten and have a general idea of what you want, Kitten Match may be right for you! Skip the appointment line and get matched with your new kitten.
1. Fill out the form to let our adoption counselors know what you’re looking for (age, sex, color, markings, etc.) All kittens taking part in our new kitten match pilot are perfect first-time kittens – they’re playful and social.
2. We’ll find your match(es). Our counselors will review your answers and find you a match that fits your description. Some matches happen in just a few days, others can take 1-2 weeks depending on your preference selections.
3. Time go to home! Once a match is found, we’ll offer an optional group Q&A video call to answer any general kitten-care questions, then we’ll schedule a pick-up appointment where you’ll meet your new kitten for the first time. Adoption paperwork and payment will be completed online, and you can pick up your new furry friend! All kittens must leave in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
4. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
Benefits of the Kitten Match Pilot Program:
1. Get a kitten faster. By letting our experienced adoption counselors make your match for you (which include kittens not yet available on our website!), you’ll skip the waitlist for virtual adoption appointments. That means you can have your new buddy home even faster!
2. Help save lives. It’s kitten season, and shelters all over California are being inundated with kittens. We’re taking in kittens from rescue partners that need our help, but we need more space and resources to continue helping our partners. When you adopt a kitten through kitten match, you’re helping us create space quickly, allowing us to save more animals in need of help right now.
Virtual Appointment Adoption Program
If you’re hoping to adopt a kitten but not sure exactly what you’re looking for, our virtual adoption program might be right for you. Our adoption counselors will help you find an animal that fits your lifestyle. Meet up to 3 kittens during your virtual video appointment to find the perfect one.
1. Sign up for a virtual appointment to meet kittens. An adoption counselor will contact you via email or phone to set up your video appointment time.
2. Meet your match(es)! During your virtual video appointment, you’ll get to “meet” up to 3 animals you’re interested in and learn more about them.
3. Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new kitten up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
4. Let’s go home! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your kitten at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All kittens must leave in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
5. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
*Please note that we are not allowing holds while our virtual adoption process is in place.*
|6+ Club for Felines||$75||$75|
Ongoing Special Adoption Fees
Make an impact for an animal in need
Did you know that you can sponsor the adoption fees for a needy animal? Heather and Matt Robbins adopted Abby from HSSV, and regularly come to our Milpitas Animal Community Center to sponsor the care and adoptions for animals that need it most.
Benefits Of A HSSV Adoption
Starting with excellent matchmaking services from our adoption counselors, an HSSV adoption includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- All necessary vaccines appropriate for the animal’s age and routine deworming
- Home Again Microchip with life-time registration
- Sponsored veterinary visit and select aftercare discount through one of our partners
- Expert tips on pet care and training, including free behavior advice for the lifetime of the animal from a behavior specialist
- Post Adoption advice as your new pet adjusts to the home
- All our animals have been examined by veterinary staff and received a behavior assessment
The Cost Comparison Of Adopted Animal Vs. A “Free Pet”
A free pet may seem like a great deal, but pet care costs add up quickly. For a better value, adopt from Humane Society Silicon Valley, where adoptions include a full array of services to keep your new companion safe and healthy.
Meet adoptable animals at any of our locations! To see the animals available at each location or in foster homes, visit the links below:
Garfield and Ginger were adopted from HSSV a few years ago, but when their owner passed away, they found themselves back in our care. They had been together their whole lives, and we wanted to find them a new home where they could stay together. A few months ago, Garfield and Ginger found an amazing home! Their new owners report that they are very happy and loved ❤️Adopt a Cat
Chuck was a long-termer here at HSSV, but recently celebrated his one-year adoptiversary in his forever home. “Bringing Chuck into our lives has truly been the best thing we have done! Chuck enriches our lives beyond our wildest expectations!” his new family told us. In the last year, his family has worked hard on some of his leash reactivity issues and he’s even started to make some new dog friends.Adopt a Dog
Leon, one of our feisty garden cats, took a while to find his home. He wasn’t a typical garden cat – he loved to be outdoors, but also enjoyed human affection on his terms. Leon was adopted and is already settling in great with his new family. He hasn’t forgotten his feisty ways, but his family is already figuring out when he’s had enough. We’re so happy for you, Leon!Adopt a Garden Cat
Want More Success Stories?
Sign up for news to get more success stories in your inbox!