How to Adopt
Virtual Adoption Appointment Process
Adoption Appointment Update:
New adoption appointments will now open daily, and you will be able to self-schedule your virtual adoption appointment via our new scheduling tool. We anticipate that these appointments will go quickly due to high demand, so if you do not see any available appointments, please check back!
In response to concerns around COVID-19 and current social distancing rules, our adoptions process is now virtual, with pick-up of your new pet by appointment only. This new adoption process is in place for the safety of our staff and customers. Follow our easy steps to bring home a new pet to keep you company during this challenging time!
1. Schedule a virtual adoption appointment. New appointments will be released daily for the following two days of appointments. If no appointments are available, please check back – new appointments will be added the following day, and more appointments may become available throughout the day due to cancellations.
2. Meet your match(es)! During your virtual video appointment, you’ll get to “meet” up to 3 animals you’re interested in and learn more about them. Since new animals are made available daily, we recommend checking the list of available animals 30 minutes before your appointment time.
3. Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new pet up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
4. Let’s go home, buddy! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your pet at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All animals must leave with a collar or in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
5. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
Boom! You’ve just given a cat, dog, rabbit, or pocket pet a home. Good for you, now go and get your cuddles on.
Check out our adoption guides while you are waiting for your appointment:Cat & Kitten Adoption Guide Dog & Puppy Adoption Guide Rabbit Adoption Guide
Kitten Match is currently closed! Please check back for updates.
If you are looking for a friendly, outgoing kitten and have a general idea of what you want, Kitten Match may be right for you! Skip the appointment line and get matched with your new kitten.
1. Fill out the form to let our adoption counselors know what you’re looking for (age, sex, color, markings, etc.) All kittens taking part in our new kitten match pilot are perfect first-time kittens – they’re playful and social.
2. We’ll find your match(es). Our counselors will review your answers and find you a match that fits your description. Some matches happen in just a few days, others can take 1-2 weeks depending on your preference selections.
3. Time go to home! Once a match is found, we’ll offer an optional group Q&A video call to answer any general kitten-care questions, then we’ll schedule a pick-up appointment where you’ll meet your new kitten for the first time. Adoption paperwork and payment will be completed online, and you can pick up your new furry friend! All kittens must leave in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
4. Send us pics! We would love to see photos of your new pet settling into your home.
Benefits of the Kitten Match Pilot Program:
1. Get a kitten faster. By letting our experienced adoption counselors make your match for you (which include kittens not yet available on our website!), you’ll skip the waitlist for virtual adoption appointments. That means you can have your new buddy home even faster!
2. Help save lives. It’s kitten season, and shelters all over California are being inundated with kittens. We’re taking in kittens from rescue partners that need our help, but we need more space and resources to continue helping our partners. When you adopt a kitten through kitten match, you’re helping us create space quickly, allowing us to save more animals in need of help right now.
Diamond in the Ruff
Check out our available Diamond in the Ruff animals below! Animals available through our Diamond in the Ruff program may have specific needs or environments. Follow the steps below to sign up to adopt a Diamond in the Ruff animal:
- Browse the list of available Diamond in the Ruff animals.
- Visit the animal’s profile to learn more details about them and see if they might be a fit for your household
- Fill out the form via the link in the animal’s profile and request to meet them.
- Meet the animal virtually! Our adoption staff will follow up in a few days to provide more information and set up a virtual appointment to meet the animal. Some animals may require an in-person meet and greet before adoption. If the animal requires an in-person meet and greet, our adoptions team will schedule you for an appointment to meet the animal.
- Let the experts help you! If you’re ready to adopt after your appointment, an adoption counselor will walk you through more information on how to set your new pet up for success, and help you complete all paperwork and payment digitally.
- Pick up your new pal! At the end of your virtual appointment, your adoption counselor will set a time for you to come pick up your pet at our Milpitas Animal Community Center (no later than the next business day). All animals must leave with a collar or in a secure carrier. It’s required that you wear a mask when you come to pick up your new buddy.
Please note that the Diamond in the Ruff form can only be used to sign up to meet available Diamond in the Ruff animals. If you fill out the Diamond in the Ruff form and request to meet an animal that is not part of our Diamond in the Ruff program, you will not receive an appointment to meet that animal.
*Please note that we are not allowing holds while our virtual adoption process is in place.*
|6+ Club for Felines||$75||$75|
Ongoing Special Adoption Fees
Make an impact for an animal in need
Did you know that you can sponsor the adoption fees for a needy animal? Heather and Matt Robbins adopted Abby from HSSV, and regularly come to our Milpitas Animal Community Center to sponsor the care and adoptions for animals that need it most.
Benefits Of A HSSV Adoption
Starting with excellent matchmaking services from our adoption counselors, an HSSV adoption includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- All necessary vaccines appropriate for the animal’s age and routine deworming
- Home Again Microchip with life-time registration
- Sponsored veterinary visit and select aftercare discount through one of our partners
- Expert tips on pet care and training, including free behavior advice for the lifetime of the animal from a behavior specialist
- Post Adoption advice as your new pet adjusts to the home
- All our animals have been examined by veterinary staff and received a behavior assessment
The Cost Comparison Of Adopted Animal Vs. A “Free Pet”
A free pet may seem like a great deal, but pet care costs add up quickly. For a better value, adopt from Humane Society Silicon Valley, where adoptions include a full array of services to keep your new companion safe and healthy.
Meet adoptable animals at any of our locations! To see the animals available at each location or in foster homes, visit the links below:
Oreo, now Finn, was a shy little guy with the best snaggletooth of all time. He was recently adopted and his new family says he fits right in and is the perfect addition to their home!Adopt a Dog
Luna’s new family says she is the best kitten and a bright spot for them during this difficult year. She’s already fitting in great with her new cat sibling!Adopt a Cat
Despite having a few medical issues, Brenda the Bulldog found a home with a family that is willing to take on whatever she needs. Her new family says she’s doing great and is clearly thriving with all the attention she now gets!Adopt a Dog
Get Puppies in Your Inbox
Sign up for news, stories, and more delivered to your inbox monthly!