About our Volunteer Program
Volunteers play a critical role in our ability to meet our mission goals of saving and enhancing the lives of both people and pets. Our adult Volunteers are 18 years or older and can commit to 8 hours of service per month for one year. There is a $40 registration fee for Volunteer On-boarding Session, and training is provided for all Volunteer roles.
How do I get started?
- Step 1: The next Volunteer Recruitment Cycle is April 28th – May 13th, 2017. Check out the roles we currently have available in this Recruitment Cycle below.
- Step 2: During the Meet & Greet, we’ll let you know more about HSSV, and go into detail about the Volunteer roles that are available right now.
- Step 3: After the Meet & Greet, we’ll send you an online Volunteer Application. Please submit your application by May 6th, 2017.
- Step 4: The Volunteer Team will review your application, and if it’s a good match, we’ll invite you to attend one of two New Volunteer On-boarding Sessions! The On-boarding session dates are May 11th, 2017, OR May 13th, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. You will be asked to attend one of these dates.
- If you can’t attend either of the On-boarding sessions, your application will be re-reviewed for suitability during the next Volunteer Recruitment Cycle, which will likely be during the summer months.
Please select which Meet and Greet Tour you would like to attend (please select only one):
Click here to RSVP for the April 28th Meet & Greet: Sign Me Up!
Click here to RSVP for the April 30th Meet & Greet: Sign Me Up!
Volunteer Roles Available during this Volunteer Recruitment Cycle
Program Services Track
- Pet Store Clerk: Pet Store Clerk: When animals get adopted, their families visit our Whole Pet Store to buy goodies and get their pet outfitted before the ride home. Help in all aspects of this process, from the first “congratulations,” to ringing them up and saying goodbye!
- Days and Times Needed: Thursdays, 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.; and Fridays, 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.; every other Saturday, 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. and 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.; every other Sunday, 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Dog or Cat Track
- Daily Monitoring Special Project: Are you detail oriented? Are you interested in monitoring the daily health and behavior of the animals at HSSV? Join us in our brand new Daily Monitoring Program! This position will assist HSSV staff in providing daily observations and monitoring of key components of the health and well being of the animals in our care!
- Days and Times Needed: Once per week, Mondays through Sundays, 7 a.m. - 9 a.m. to assist in monitoring dogs, and 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. to assist in monitoring cats.
- Kitten Vaccination Station: Do you enjoy working with kittens and the people who love them? Join us at our kitten vaccination station! This position will assist foster staff in providing vaccinations and deworming treatments to our over 2,000 kittens that enter our feline foster program every year!
- Days and Times Needed: Once per week, Sunday - Monday, from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p. m. OR 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Foster Care: Foster parents are heroes and allow us to help even more animals in the community! One animal in your home allows us to rescue another into our Animal Community Center or Neighborhood Adoption Centers. Learn more >
Please note that we do not provide short term volunteer service, court ordered community service or restitution.