Camp Counselor Volunteer Position for Teens
Volunteer camp counselors play a huge part in making the camper experience exciting, fun, and memorable. Camp counselors get community service hours and have an experience that will last a lifetime!
2015 Summer Camp Counselor Available Positions
-First Time & Returning Camp Counselors: You will supervise campers, prepare supplies, teach activities and games, and ensure that campers and animals are safe at all times. Returning counselors will also be asked to help mentor the new counselors.
-NEW! Camp Counselor Floater: (for returning counselors only) Floaters have the opportunity to assist staff “behind-the-scenes” with odd jobs, bringing animals to the classroom and supervising groups. One floater per camp needed.
Summer Camp Counselor Requirements
- Must be 14 – 18 years old
- Show maturity, be self-motivated, and dependable
- Love working with animals and kids
- Complete a 2 hour group interview at Humane Society Silicon Valley
- Commit to a minimum of 1 camp session and attend accompanying camp counselor training
- Pay a $85 non-refundable training and registration fee prior to your first day of camp
- Floaters only: Commit to a minimum of 3 camp sessions
During the Group Interview, you will:
- Meet and get to know other prospective camp counselors
- Learn about camp and what characteristics we’re looking for in our counselors
- Work on camp-related projects and activities in a group setting
- Practice leadership, animal handling techniques, and team work
- You may choose to attend:
- Group Interview 1: Saturday, April 11 from10:30a – 12:30p
- Group Interview 2: Saturday, April 25 from 10:30a – 12:30p
- Group Interview 3: Saturday, May 2 from 10:30a – 12:30p
HSSV will call/email you and let you know if you’ve been chosen to participate in camp this year, approximately ten days after your interview.
The Camp Counselor program is full for the 2015 camp season. To be put on the wait list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to be a camp counselor? See what it's all about here: